[linux-dvb] datarates: any experiences?

Ralph Metzler wrote:

>  > Thanks for reassuring that when the ifconfig has it in the
>  > stats then the linux tcp/ip stack should have received it.
>

> It received it but the TCP/IP stack still might have dropped it.
> I currently only declare the packet dropped if I did not get
> a buffer from the network layer.
> I do not check what netif_rx() returns.
> You could change the DVB network driver to use the return value
> of netif_rx() in the statistics. The possible return values are:
>
> NET_RX_SUCCESS	(no congestion)
> NET_RX_CN_LOW     (low congestion)
> NET_RX_CN_MOD     (moderate congestion)
> NET_RX_CN_HIGH    (high congestion)
> NET_RX_DROP    (packet was dropped)
>
> This way you can be absolutely certain if the upper layers dropped
> the packet or something else went wrong.

just to let you know that I implemented this suggestion
here locally and come to the following conclusion:
netif_rx never returns high congestion or dropped
packets so all packets are succesfully delivered to
the upper network layers.

I also set the skb->ip_summed to CHECKSUM_UNNECESSARY
to have a look if maybe the packets were thrown away
in checksum calculations but they weren't. So it's
still a mystery why the linux tcp/ip stack throws
away the exact same packets that come in perfectly via
the eth0 and eth1 interface but not via the dvb0_0
interface while the driver is doing the job perfectly.

greetings,

Bart De Gruyter