[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-Newbie needs help

Freitag, 25. Januar 2002 at 00:28 Wolfgang Wershofen wrote:

> Hi everybody,

>   I am quite a newbie to LINUX-DVB so don't punish me for asking stupid
>   or long answered questions.

>   I am participating in a pilot project for dsl via satellite in
>   Germany. Along with that I purchased a "Technotrend budget PCI"
>   DVB-card and everything is working quit well under Windows, although
>   I'm getting more and more to the point that this card wasn't the best
>   choice (speaking of tv-performance).

>   Since M$-Win is not my favorite OS, I'd like to get both networking
>   and digital tv running under Linux. At this point I have gone through
>   one week of nightshifts with gathering informations, downloading
>   drivers, software, howto's, compiling, installing, reconfiguring and
>   testing and I seem to got stuck! Neither networking nor digital tv is
>   working so I urgently need some help. Maybe I can't see the forest
>   for the trees.

>   Ok, so how is my situation now:

>   Hardware:
>   Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 GHz, 512 MB SDRAM, K7S5A Mainboard, ATI Radeon
>   ViVo 64MB DDR, TT budget PCI DVB-card

>   Software:
>   SuSE Linux 7.3, XFree 4.1.0, Kernel 2.4.10-4GB

>   Let's at first leave the networking aspect aside, because I have not
>   yet been into this too far. I concentrated on digital tv in the last
>   few days because I thought it was easier to set up.

>   I downloaded the tarball siemens_dvb_0.9-lastest from
>   linuxtv.org and compiled it according to the respective README-files.
>   I had to install some more features from the distribution but finally
>   I succeeded in compiling the driver, the libs and the tuxzap software.
>   As far as /var/log/messages tells the whole story, "make insmod" of
>   the drivers works fine, since no warnings or errors are displayed
>   there.
>   Feeling lucky about that, I started X. First I tried tuxzap, which
>   seemed to work. Ok, channel-switching without picture is a dull test,
>   so I started tuxview, which I understood as being my tv-monitor. Is
>   that right?
>   tuxview does nothing. the main window is drawn onto the desktop
>   showing a blue screen, no actions possible - window frozen.
>   In xterm,   where I started tuxview no errors are written (neither
>   they are in /var/log/messages nor in the X-Server-log).
>   Ok, I thought, tuxview won't work, so I'll try xawtv - Same result.
>   But in xterm there is an error message:

>   v4l: timeout (got SIGARLM), hardware/driver problems?

>   Also in /var/log/messages, there is:

>   modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81-[0,1,2,3]

>   Concerning char-major-81 I found some information on the internet
>   so I modified my modules.conf accordingly but that v4l-timeout in
>   xawtv remains unchanged.
>   I'm not quite shure if the alias I set there is correct -
>   I've tried "bttv" and "dvb" and "videodev" but nothing changed. So I
>   think there is another - maybe greater - problem in my configuration.

> [...]

Do me a favor and forget my mail for the moment. Everything I asked in
that has been discussed during this very month over and over. I am able to
read, so I'll come back with more detailed questions if there are any.

--
Best regards
Wolfgang Wershofen                            mailto:wolfgang@wershofen.com