[linux-dvb] Newbie problem : need infos on API

Hi everybody,

I have a linux box (RH 7.1/ kernel 2.4.10 / PIII 450 MHz / 128 Mo RAM).

I'm using an Hauppauge winTV DVB-S (second release) with the latest driver.

I'm trying to tune on hotbird : I simply can't : The frontend says it has
power and that's it ! But if I set the wrong polarity and/or tone, it locks
!!! (but no data gets out)

I downloaded DVBtune V0.2. I tried to compile it but I got many errors.

I noticed that FE_SELFTEST (for example) is unresolved but OST_SELFTEST
isn't...
(the makefile is pointing the -I to the DVB/ost/include I just downloaded
(latest version))

This just makes me feel I misunderstood something important about the NAPI
(?) and the DVB API. (What is the difference between them ? Which one
should I use ? Which one do I use !!??)

Does somebody know of a document giving the big picture about all that ?
APIs ? Driver ? Firmware ? Kernel API ?

I tried to understand the secCmdSequence command.

         scmd.type=0;
         scmd.u.diseqc.addr = 0x10;                      Why 0x10 ?
         scmd.u.diseqc.cmd = 0x38;                       Why 0x38 ?
         scmd.u.diseqc.numParams = 1;
         scmd.u.diseqc.params[0] = 0xF0 | ((nr * 4) & 0x0F) |    What does
'nr' relates to in the real world ?
           (scmds.continuousTone == SEC_TONE_ON ? 1 : 0) |
           (scmds.voltage==SEC_VOLTAGE_18 ? 2 : 0);

I'm trying to tune on :
hotbird
Freq 10911000
Pol V
FEC 3/4
SR 27.5
PID 6450 (interactive service data PID) for 2 weeks and I'm getting
desperate...

Thanks in advance,
Karim