[linux-dvb] Re: X display on DVB board?

Johann Hanne writes:
 > On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 mocm@convergence.de wrote:
 >
 > > Why don't you use tuxview, xawtv, kwintv, df_layers (from DirectFB),
 > > fbtv or any other video4linux viewer?
 > > I am using fbtv right now, but only because I don't want to run X.
 > > I am using rtuxzap, not vdr, but that shouldn't be a problem. You can
 > > even use lirc and your remote control to switch xawtv from fullscreen
 > > to window mode and to switch from PAL to NTSC when viewing region1
 > > DVDs.
 > Erm. Is the stuff which is displayed via OSD also visible when I use
 > tuxview/xawtv/...? I don't think so?! If not, I won't be able to use VDR
 > as it uses OSD? Or is there some other recording software which uses X?
 > (Sorry for asking instead of trying it out - it would take me some hours
 > to configure it.)

Of course, it is. You should be able to compile tuxscreen very quickly
and xawtv is included most distribution, I think. xawtv can use xv, so
you can get a nice fullscreen, which I didn't implement in tuxview.

 > > The only thing you need is a good TV resolution for your graphics card,
 > > it works great for MGA, ATI and Voodoo cards, but maybe it also works for
 > > NVIDIA and others.
 > I'm currently using an ELSA GLADIAC 311TV-OUT with NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200.
 > The SVHS-out gives a nice picture connected to my 28" TV, but only when
 > speaking about colors. The resolution of the X driver is locked to 640x480
 > and 800x600 (no way to get a PAL signla out), which both leaves a small
 > black border around the "active"  picture. I've mailed nvidia and got an
 > answer promising they would have a look at this - I hope they really do.
 > Damned closed-source drivers... I'll probably buy another graphics board
 > with TV-out, but only if I find a solution for the issue mentioned above.

I am only getting an overscan for the voodoo card. All the others have
the border. Well MGA is ok, not much border, but no overscan, so you
can see the teletext information, but maybe it is better now, it has
been a while. And the Radeon can only use the VESA modes, but I think
the GATOS guys are working on it. There is a lengthy discussion about
this on the video4linux list right now. There are some people who want
to write a vdr like application for v4l grabber cards. The problem
with TV display is the synching of the graphics card with the TV
framerate. If you don't have that, you get juddering and other ugly
effects.

Marcus