[linux-dvb] Re: Nova + PC Card(pcmcia) driver--is it possibleto watch encrypted program by using these devices?

David Toth writes:
 >  Hi,
 >
 > On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jean-Claude Repetto wrote:
 > >
 > > No, you are wrong . The CAM contains a transport stream interface, to get
 > > the encrypted stream and return the decrypted stream. Please read the EN
 > > 50221 standard freely available at www.etsi.org .
 >
 >  We are walking on slippery ground... :P
 >  So I am wrong. Can you tell me then what for a thing called European
 > Common Descrambler (ECD) implemented in most CA receiver? What
 > functionality does the ECD have?
 >  Bye,
 >  David

The ECD is also implemented in all the CAMs. STBs with ECD usually
have some kind of descrambler like Viaccess or Irdeto implemented. In
that case you don't need a CAM, only a smartcard, for decryption.
Most/all of those descrambling systems use ECD, only the algorithm for
the encryption of the keys is different and gives the system its name.

Marcus