[linux-dvb] Re: ATSC?

Hi Dan--

ATSC over-the-air is quite widely available.  I can pick up 5 ATSC channels
right now, for instance, with two more coming on line in May.  It looks
fabulous on my projector.  Indeed, I sent some test streams over to the
Metlzer brothers a year or two ago.

For satellite, there is less availability, but if you have a Dish 5000 plus
ATSC modulator (pricey), SHO-HD and HBO-HD are available using any of the PC
cards on the market.

For cable, there are at least two ways that it works and coverage is spotty.
  Some cable companies (TWC in NYC, for instance) provide a full 6 MHz of
analog bandwidth for at least one ATSC channel.  For digital cable, I think
they use QAM modulation (?), which can picked up by the WinTV-HD (but not
the others, IIRC).  Of course, I doubt that CAMs will be issued for it.

Good luck.

Regards--

Dan