[linux-dvb] Re: DiSEqC 2.x

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 13:22, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> I am not aware of any tuner supporting DiSEqC 2.0.
> Do you know any?

For example Zarlink's MT312 does support DiSEqC 2.2
(http://assets.zarlink.com/products/data/downloads/dm5651.pdf)
and I am sure there are and will be more frontends which offer support
for DiSEqC 2.x.

> A read/write interface is not best suited for a fixed-length command
> structure. In our current proposal we defined a frontend-ioctl which
> transmits the same struct as defined in the Eutelsat DiSEqC bus
> specification.

As far as I understood, DiSEqC commands do not have a fixed length but
vary from 3 to 6 bytes in length and might even be longer for custom
commands or custom devices.

Also, the DiSEqC 2.x circuit does not need to be integrated in the
frontend, but can be supplied as external hardware. For now it is not
possible to use such external hardware, e.g. on a serial port, using the
DVB API.

Regards,
obi