[linux-dvb] Re: problems with NEWSTRUCT

Jeremy Hall writes:
 > The driver would need to be extended.  I have never been able to reliably
 > switch satellites I suspect the receiver that last occupied this switch
 > connection left it wherever it was last time it told it to switch.
 >
 > What would need to be modified in the driver? Can the driver tell the
 > firmware to modulate with voltage or does the firmware need to be
 > updated? Is that something easily accomplished?

You do not need to change the firmware.
The voltage switching on the DVB cards is handled directly by the frontend
hardware (only the 22KHz pin is connected to the AV7110).
It is normally connected to one of the GPIO ports of the demodulator
chip which can be reached via I2C. You will have to implement this
in each demodulator driver (or just the one you need). A generic
implementation for all kinds of demodulators should also not be too hard.

You could also first try if modulating the voltage from userspace is
fast enough. But task switches could mess up the timing in this case.
For testing the basic functionality you should try this though.

Ralph