[linux-dvb] Re: ATSC support q's

Hi Ethan--

Looks like nobody is rising to the challenge, so I'll take the question.

In short, nothing is available for ATSC and Linux that I know of.  Support
for the WinTV-D will utlimately be helped along by Peter Hettkamp's work on
the Pinnacle PCTV Sat card in NEWSTRUCT.  Other than that, the biggest piece
yet to be filled is by somebody who has knowledge of FPGA soft hardware
programming.

If your cable company puts out an ATSC 8VSB stream for HB0-HD and/or SHO-HD,
then the WinTV-D could tune it fine.  If your cable company uses QAM64 or
QAM128 modulation to deliver these channels, you're out of luck.  The other
option is to get a Dish 5000 plus ATSC modulator, but this can be a pricey
option.  HDNet is only available through DirecTV, which the WinTV-D can't
pick it up.

If you're looking for a science project with ATSC demodulation/modulation
then there are other avenues to take, but nothing really geared toward home
theater computer use.

Good luck.

Regards--

Dan