[linux-dvb] Re: ATSC support q's

Daniel Schmelzer writes:
 > In short, nothing is available for ATSC and Linux that I know of.  Support
 > for the WinTV-D will utlimately be helped along by Peter Hettkamp's work on
 > the Pinnacle PCTV Sat card in NEWSTRUCT.  Other than that, the biggest piece
 > yet to be filled is by somebody who has knowledge of FPGA soft hardware
 > programming.

The PCTV basically is the Conexant DVB reference design.
Isn't there a corresponding ATSC reference design?
Is it available for sale somewhere?
Only the tuner drivers of the PCTV card would have to be changed.
MPEG decoding could be done in software.

 > If your cable company puts out an ATSC 8VSB stream for HB0-HD and/or SHO-HD,
 > then the WinTV-D could tune it fine.  If your cable company uses QAM64 or
 > QAM128 modulation to deliver these channels, you're out of luck.  The other
 > option is to get a Dish 5000 plus ATSC modulator, but this can be a pricey
 > option.  HDNet is only available through DirecTV, which the WinTV-D can't
 > pick it up.

Could a DVB demodulator (e.g. VES1820) decode those QAM signals?

Ralph