[linux-dvb] DVB-C, Debian: Can't make it work, multiple problems

Hi,

I'm stuck. No matter what I tried so far, I can't get my DVB-C card to
work on my Debian Linux box.

It appears to be two individual problems: The drivers don't work correctly
with the applications _and_ the TV out settings are wrong.

- I have a Siemens DVB-C card with a SAA7146 chip (rev 01)

- It works in Windows 98se.

- I can't get it to work in Debian Woody.

- I tried two versions of the DVB drivers, the 05/22 tarball recommended
  at the VDR website and a cvs snapshot I just downloaded. Both compile,
  install and insmod without suspiscious error messages.

- make insmod spends 2 minutes waiting for some of the modules, way more
  than the 1 or 2 seconds mentioned in the driver's INSTALL text.

- depmod reports unresolved symbols in dvb_firm.o, I get exactly the same
  message for depmod -ae as described in
  <http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2001/05-2001/msg00661.html>

- /var/log/messages does not show any suspicious error messages

- modprobe dvb reports "1 dvb card(s) found!"

- tuxzap, tzap, szap and dvbtune won't work, reporting errors when trying
  to open the dvb devices at first try, then hanging at second try running
  them.

- insmod dvb init_chan=2 gives me an out-of-tune image of ZDFinfo. I guess
  that something is wrong with the vidmode value (my TV set is quite
  picky), but trying different settings for the module didn't help. In the
  windows application, the same effect occured when the TV out was set to
  FBAS or RGB, but the image was fine with FBAS + Y/C.

Any ideas what is going on here?

I'd be grateful for some pointers in the right direction...

Thanks,

Hanno