[linux-dvb] Re: NOVA-CI and access the CAM directly

Hi Frankta,

>card.Does anybody have this material?

The CI specification is not freely available for download although is is not
that expensive. And I have no clue as to what chip there is on the CI or
even if the datasheet is available. AFAIK things works as follows.

The parts of the TS that contain encryption key updates are routed to the
CAM via the CI. The CAM uses this information to generate the actual
encryption keys. In fact usually the smart card generates (parts of) the
encryption keys based on the subscription data.

There is a common encryption scheme used in DVB and the CAM mearly provide
the keys to this "common" ecryption scheme. All encryption is actually done
in the AV711x and you can read more about this in the DVB specifications and
the AV711x datasheet. Isn't the Nova also AV711x based?

So what's needed is mearly a way to convey the proper information to and
from the CAM. However, that may or may not be possible.

I do know that there is a Linux application, which is called xcha I belive,
and that claims to be able to make it possible to receive encrypted
transmissions without CAM or CI. It does so by emulating the CAM and the
smart card and feed the encryption keys directly to the AV711x. I haven't
tested this and it might be illegal to do so depending on where you live.

There is a reversed engineered schematic of a viaccess CAM on the net. That
might be useful. I've lost the URL though.

In short, it might very well be quite possible to make it possible to
receive encrypted transmissions on a Nova. It might involve doing some
dedicated hardware which is more expensive than obtaining a full CI capable
board and a CI or might even involve illegal activities.

Best regards
 Sven