[linux-dvb] Re: NOVA-CI and access the CAM directly

frankta writes:

 > Ralph Metzler wrote:
 >
 > > CiMaX datasheets are freely available from at least one of the
 > > manufacturers.
 > Can you tell me where to obtain the CiMaX datasheet?

I don't have a link at hand. Just google for "cimax atmel".

 > > That's not true. If you use a CAM, the CAM does all of the actual
 > > decryption by itself.
 > So it ought to be legal to just access the CAM according the CI standard.

IANAL, but I really do not see any reason why it should not be legal.

 > > Why go through all the trouble and not just buy a NOVA-CI card?
 > Yes,one can buy a NOVA-CI card and use it under Win$.But there is no linux driver support NOVA-CI to receive encrypted channel.
 >
 > > There also is a card by KNC1 which comes with a connector for a CI
 > > interface.
 > Can you tell me what's the URL and where can one get it?

www.knc1.com

They do not seem to sell it yet. The card also uses a slightly
different tuner which needs some adjustments to the drivers.

Two different users also wrote me that the Nova-CI does not work at
all (not just the CI but also the normal "Nova part") with the
current drivers. Here the tuner seems to be the same (BSRU6). Maybe
something else (voltage, 22KHz, frontend power, etc.) is wired
differently on this card.

Ralph