[linux-dvb] SEMI-OT: Automatic channel scan

Hi All,

I'm just writing this to say that I've almost succeeded in letting VDR
automatically scan DVB channels. At least on DVB-C. I know this is a bit off
topic but might be of interest to people on this list.

The STBes for DVB-C usually only need one frequency and the corresponding
symbolrate and modulation parameters to sucessfully find all other
"transponders"(I not sure about the nomenclature). However, VDR nor DTV can
do this. I've made some changes, however, to VDR as to parse the network
identification table(NIT) as sent in the digital feed. The NIT contains
descriptors for frequences and other goodies like network name and more.

I can now successfully find all "transponders" given just one initial
frequency (just like the STBes) and I can also obtain all "non-digital"
channel frequences as these also appears to be passed in the NIT. It is of
course straight forward to find all channels given the transponders.

The STBes I've seen can also allocate the different channels to "channel
numbers" so that a specific channel can always be seen on "channel x" on the
STB although the channel moves between transponders. The providers tend to
use this to add extra "event" channels when needed at sensible "channel
numbers". It appears to be happening a lot during World Hockey and Soccer
championships. However, I have a clue as to implement this and I hope it is
only a matter of time before this also implemented.

If this turns out ok the channel.conf files can be automagically updated in
VDR just as a STB does. And one wouldn't have to use dtv_scan or something
else to scan for new channels as they would automatically appear and
disappear according to the network information sent.

I would very much like to know if someone else is working on something
similar or if all this has already been done.

Best regards
 Sven