[linux-dvb] Re: System reboots-hangs up while routing or bridging multicast data

Wolfgang Wershofen writes:
 > Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2002 at 12:31 marius marin wrote:
 >
 > > We have problems keeping our system stable while routing or bridging
 > > multicast data under the following configuration:
 > >   - Pentium 3 800 Mhz 256 MB ram
 > >   - RedHat Linux 7.3 , Kernel 2.4.18.4 (also with Kernel 2.4.18.3)
 > >   - eth card: 3com - 3c59x
 > >   - Hauppauge WinTV DVB-s card or Hauppauge WinTV Nexus card
 > >   - the driver is V 0.9.4

Try the latest CVS drivers. Any kernel oops information?

 > >   - mrouted-3.9-beta3-4
 > >   - dvbtune 0.3
 > >  In particular, the system temporarily hangs up or reboots completely after
 > > a  period ranging from 2 minutes to 8 hours from startup of the network
 > > services, without any warning nor error log.

Did you try setting your console to Ctrl-Alt-F10 and see if there is a
kernel oops message?

 > This issue has been addressed serveral times before in this list. Look
 > into the archive for further reference.
 >
 > To keep it short: There seems to be a bug in the multicasting
 > functionality of the DVB-s firmware (AFAIR). I have no information, that
 > this is going to be fixed in the near future.

Multicast has nothing to do with the firmware. Many problems occured
because  the network device dvb0_0 was not configured correctly and
some are still there because the debi port has a limited bandwidth
which may cause problems when too much data is requested by the
section filters.

Still those hardware limitations should not cause a crash. Since we
don't have internet via satellite and don't plan to get it (it's not a
feasible internet solution), we cannot test the driver for that. So,
we would need some kind of error log. Since there is no firmware
"magic" responsible for those crashes there must be something in the
driver.

 > Only possible solution: Replace the DVB-s card with WinTV nova or TT
 > budget card. These cards don't have any firmware and
 > multicast-networking runs without any problems.

As a hardware solution the Nova cards are much better suited for heavy
data transfers because you can get all the transponder data without
problems.

Marcus

| mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |