[linux-dvb] Re: I great question

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 10:47, Volkmar Sieh wrote:
> But nevertheless: I'm not able to watch *all* channels and I don't know
> why either. dvbstream doesn't generate any output for them.
>
> Additionally I have an other question:
> What's the reason for some flickering effects? mplayer shows the mpeg
> video/audio stream but sometimes some flickering occurs and the picture
> is unsteady. Sometimes I get Segmentation Errors by mplayer due to
> bad mpeg stream. I crosschecked this using a different DVB-S card and a
> different SAT disc. Same ugly effects. Any hints...?

Firstly, I'm assuming you are using a full-featured DVB card (i.e. one with a
TV-out).

Have you tried the "-v" and "-a" parameters when specifying the PIDs?  On
some transponders, this seems to make a difference to whether a clean
datafeed is generated by dvbstream.

Also, try the "-cache 2048" parameter to mplayer - this buffers the data
coming from dvbstream and will often solve flickering problems.

If your DVB card is in the same PC as you are using to view the TV program,
you can just use dvbtune to tune to the channel, and then a V4L TV
application (e.g. xawtv) to view the channel - this uses the hardware mpeg
decoder on the card.

You only need dvbstream/mplayer to view channels from a budget/Nova card, or
to stream over the network.

Dave.