[linux-dvb] Re: Newby, channels.conf, ARM-stuff

Glyn Davies writes:
 > I only have a Nova card, so am speculating a bit here really....
 >
 > As I understand it the difference between a 'full' card and the 'budget' card
 > is that the 'full' cards have an MPEG2 decoder.  I assume the av711x is such
 > a beast, and is an MPEG2 decoder, with an ARM in for support.
 >
 > The philips chip saa7146 ? would therefore link to this chip along with the
 > DVB demux/whatever - from what I remember on the datasheet that was part of
 > the design to have those on the same bus?

What same bus?

 > That would mean you can use the 'full' card as a budget card, or get the ARM
 > to shovel data through the MPEG2 decoder?

No, the transport stream is fed only to the AV7110. It can be
sent through the CI interface first but it only terminates in the
AV7110 and not in the SAA7146 as on the budget card.

 > The only other way would be if the ARM was an intermediary between the 7146
 > and the dvb demux - which would mean you need to download some firmware to
 > do anything.

That's how it is done.

 > I guess I'm asking does the ARM do a piggy in the middle, or is it just there
 > as an extra?

No, sorry, "piggy in the middle" only.

Ralph