[linux-dvb] Re: @List-Admin: Reply-To: header

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Hanno Mueller (HM) wrote:

HM> > Why isn't there a Reply-To: header in this list, I just replyed to two
HM> > mails on PM instead of the list.
HM>
HM> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
HM>
HM> I can strongly confirm those arguments.

I do not confirm to all of them, here, in short:

If  you get a private mail, most of the time you want to reply only to the
author  (just  "reply")  and if you're going to reply to all recipients of
the  mail,  you  have to take special actions ("reply to all"), so all (or
most) of the arguments on this page apply.

But  if  you're getting a mail via mailing list, most of the time you want
to  reply  to  the  whole mailing list (just "reply"). If not, you have to
take  special actions. BTW.: if you "reply to all" for a mailing list, the
author of the mail will get two copies of this mail. This is very annoying
if you write often to the list.

Just my two cents.

c ya
        Sergei