[linux-dvb] Re: DVB / MPEG2 docs

Hello all,

Don't scratch around in the dark - this stuff is hard enough by itself. :-)

All DVB specifications are available free from the ETSI web site
(www.etsi.org).  They are also available on a CD-ROM from DVB
(www.dvb.org).  They do rely on the MPEG-2 specifications which are,
unfortunately, not free.

As regards interactive digital TV streams, there are several systems
around of which only two are standards, and hence, have specifications
available.

MHEG-5 is used only in the UK on DVB-T and you will find the
specification at

http://www.dtg.org.uk/reference/index.html

MHEG-5 can be described as similar to, but entirely unlike HTML, and
specifically designed for simple interactive television.

The DVB Multimedia Home Platform (MHP) Specification is available from
ETSI - it is a DVB spec.  MHP is currently in use in Finland, will soon
be used in Germany by the German broadcasters and is expected to spread
all over the world. The MHP iTV system is Java-based and incredibly
capable.  Specifications and information is available at

www.dvb.org
www.mhp.org
www.mhp-forum.de

and many more.

Other systems in use include OpenTV (www.opentv.com), Mediahighway
(www.canalplus-technologies.com) and Liberate DTV Navigator
(www.liberate.com).  All of these are proprietary systems, meaning their
specifications are not publically available.  I don't even want to think
how much effort reverse engineering would be.

davep wrote:

>On Monday 01 Jul 2002 14:29, you wrote:
>

>>Hi there folks,
>>
>>Now I've actually started to receive some signals, I'd like to dig a bit
>>further into the (quite considerable) number of streams I'm receiving.
>>
>>What's a good source of information on the stream types broadcast via DVB
>>(MHEG, etc) ?
>>
>>I did manage to find a page (once) which covered this, however at the time
>>I was trying to get everything working :-/
>>

>There was a technical document describing the implementation of MHEG (digital
>teletext) on the UK system available I believe from the ONDigital site. The
>filename is mheg_profile1_05.zip. I once fondly imagined being able to
>implement digital teletext, however not only is the whole concept
>mind-bogglingly complex it is also necessary to have access to other ISO
>non-free documentation.
>
>Dave

Cheers,

--