[linux-dvb] Re: porting the DVB driver to sparc64

Problems I fixed are:

I am working on a 64bit system, there where some u32 <-> pointer casts,
which don't work with 64bit pointers.

i2c did not work properly, the cpu_to_le32() in prepare() is overdone,
as writel() called from saa7146_write() from master_xfer() does the
conversion.

I am using Linux 2.4, as this is what makes my sparc happy. There is no
virt_to_bus anymore, and this could not work on sparc anyway, as the
pci cannot address the complete host memory, so there is an IOMMU on
the sparc pci host bridge. I changed lots of kmallocs to pci_alloc_consistent,
and rvmalloc to use vmalloc() followed by pci_map_single.

After fixing my broken Satellite Dish cable (yes ;-) ), I actually get
a picture. There is some more things to do on sparc64, as the ioctls
need to be translated from 32bit userland to 64bit kernel space...

Do to the missing ioctls xawtv displays some "half width" false colour
stream, but this works up to here.

To me things look pretty good now, anyway, I'd be interested whether there
are datasheets about the chipsets used in the driver to look into this in
more depth.

> Eddie C. Dost writes:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > I am working on the DVB driver on the sparc64 architecture, and I could
>  > use some info on:
>  >
>  > - has someone ever started this before?
>  > - are there some hardware docs around to aid in debugging the driver?
>
> I don't think so. The odds are to small that someone has a sparc, a
> dvb card and wants to do kernel hacking.
> The driver works on PPC, so there shouldn't be any endianess related
> problems. Are you using the Sparc in 64 bit mode? This could cause
> some trouble.
>

>  >
>  > I have the code out of the state where it immediately crashes the machine,
>  > but it does not seem to much use as is. I have a Hauppauge DVB-nexus-S
>  > card to test on.
>  >

> Could you describe the problems you fixed and those that you still have?
>
> Marcus
>
> --
> /--------------------------------------------------------------------\
> | Dr. Marcus O.C. Metzler        |                                   |
> | mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
>

> --
> Info:

                                                                     /~\
Eddie C. Dost                              ASCII ribbon campaign     \ /
ecd@skynet.be                                against HTML mail        X
                                                                     / \