[linux-dvb] DVB-T Nova + DVB-S working together?

Chris Newell writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Is it possible to use the hardware MPEG decoder on a DVB-S card to display
 > live video received by a DVB-T Nova card?
 >
 > I know I can use a software decoder but would like to exploit the hardware
 > if possible.
 >
 > I've heard that something similar is possible using vdr - should I be able
 > to see live video received from a DVB-T Nova card using vdr and a DVB-S
 > card or am I limited to playback of streams captured to disk from the DVB-T
 > Nova card?

I don't know about vdr, but you can use the tuxzap programs to view
the output of your DVB-T card.
E.g. use ntuxzap -e  to tune your DVB-T card and enable the dvr
output, then cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | ntuxplayer -o -s.
This should work. Of course it would be nicer to have a program that
does all this at once. You could try it with rtuxzap and hack it a
little, or just use the libdvb and write a new one from scratch.
In rtuxzap you already have the "e" key for recording, which starts a
thread to write to disk. You would only have to change this, so that
ist writes to either the dvr or video device of the DVB card.
If you do it right, you can also just switch channels with your remote
and view them on your DVB-S. I guess you could also do something
similar in vdr.

Marcus

| mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |