[linux-dvb] Not going to work with v4l + dvb? Tuner issues?

Hi all!

I must admit I'm VERY new to this project but so far, its looking really
exciting. I'm becoming more and more interested in PVR technologies for
linux and now have a collection of capture/tv cards and I'm starting to
look at developing drivers for some.

At the moment I have (or rather would like to use)

WinTV  Nova-T  (terrestrial digital card)
WinTV  PVR     (AM TV receiver card with realtime mpeg2 encoder onboard)

I have, indivually, got both cards working.. (for those following search
engines, I have not got the MPEG encoder on the PVR working yet, though it
is something I am extremely interested in at the moment)

I have hit a snag. the BTTV drivers, as used by the WinTV PVR card feature
a module called tuner.o    as does the dvb drivers. this poses a problem

Here's an extract from my modules.conf
----

# WinTV PVR options
options		i2c-core	i2c_debug=0
options		bttv		card=0x10 radio=1 pll=1 autoload=1 fieldnr=1
options		tuner		type=5
options		msp3400		debug=0
pre-install	bttv		( /etc/kfir/install.sh );

#WinTV Nova-t options:

options dvb     init_chan=2 pids_off=0

----

The problem I face is the "type=5" option to the tuner module. I have
removed the tuner.o that accompanies the BTTV driver and left the tuner.o
that is in the latest CVS DVB (I also tried last release)

Specifying type=5 now means tuner.o is restricted to working with the
WinTV/PVR card.. ommiting this value, means tuner.o will indeed work with
the Nova-T driver.. but NOT with the PVR card.. it seems I cannot get them
both to work at the same time.

What are the advantages to having a type parameter to the tuner.o module.
It would be better if the instance of the tuner chipset itself specified
the type. Specifying explictly the type implies all the "tuner" devices
are of the same time.. Does anyone know a) what type the Nova-T is and b)
if it is possible to specify multiple "types" in the options for the
tuner.o

In actual fact I'm going to investigate this problem myself but I would
really like to hear others view/experiences on mixing digital and BTTV
hardware in the same box

I wonder if anyone out there can help!

Asides from this hardware complication, and the difficulties installing an
additional TV aerial, I managed to have the DVB support up and running,
with two channels displayed concurrently (which was an extreme novelty!)
within about an hour! Great work! I only wish the Nova-T had "tv-out"

Cheers

Chris