[linux-dvb] Re: tuner.o problem - NOVA-T

Hi there!!

Can I ask what version of the BTTV drivers you are using. I am "forced" to
use the 0.7.x drivers (the non-v4l2 drivers) because the wintv-pvr card is
not supported if using the 0.8.x drivers. Here's a brief run down

The PVR card requires a chip to be initialised using a very old/very
patched version of BTTV-0.7. Here's how I initialise the wintv card:

cd /etc/pvr
modprobe videodev		# Load the video dev module
insmod ./bttv.o	card=0x4a	# Load the OLD PATCHED bttv.o module
insmod ./kfir.o	debug=1		# Load the module to init the card
Failed blargh blargh blargh

this is because the kfir.o module only init's the card, it doesn't
actually do anything else yet

rmmod bttv			# Remove the OLD PATCHED bttv.o

At this point videodev can never be removed again since it is inuse by
one, non-existant module (probably the kfir module thats now unloaded)
lsmod |grep videodev
videodev                4576   1

Anyway, the card is now initialised and I can load the latest BTTV-0.7.94
drivers (the normal unpatched ones)

modprobe bttv

Now my analog TV card works.. I can run xawtv now with no problems

Now here's the problem

If I make insmod the dvb drivers with the bttv tuner.o loaded it doesn't
work, because it is trying to use the bttv-tuner.o

If I replace the BTTV tuner.o with the dvb tuner.o, when I modprobe the
bttv.o module the BTTV card STILL works because I have this line in the
modules.conf
options tuner      type=5

If the tuner.o is isnmod'd OR modprobed without the type=5, the BTTV card
WILL NOT work.. :(

Someone else suggested doing what you suggested but here's the problem,
they suggested using the BTTV-0.8.x drivers..

This means using v4l2. This means a newer version of videodev..

I could do this

#init PVR card
cd /etc/pvr
insmod ./videodev-old.o
insmod ./bttv.o	card=0x4a
insmod ./kfir.o debug=1
Failed (as expected)
rmmod bttv
rmmod videodev-old

modprobe videodev	#load the NEW v4l2 videodev from the patched
			 kernel

modprobe bttv
cd /DVB/driver
make insmod

That would work except I CANNOT unload the videodev-old driver and hence
cannot load the v4l2 driver ASWELL.. damn and blast it..

It is irritating since I only need the OLD v4l videodev.o module whilst
the card is being initialised.. but I can't unload it after the card has
been initialised

So, if you are using the bttv-0.7.xx driver, maybe there is a way round
it.. if not, I am doomed as it means running v4l (because it cannot be
unloaded) AND v4l2..

I think I need to bin my wintv PVR card and replace it with the
wintv-Theatre card I was using previously.. maybe I can leave the PVR card
in another machine for further development but it is proving to be a
hinderance, plus the drivers dont actually work and there has been no
development in over 8 months.. oh well :)

I would be VERY interested to know if you are running bttv-0.8 or bttv-0.7

Sorry for the slightly off topic mail, but I know others have been having
similar co-existance problems. Obviously I'll try and work on a solution
and post it if sucessful.

I have tried the NEWSTRUCT driver, but due to the changes in layout of
/dev/ost none of the existing software I used (such as dvbtune) will see
the card nor could I find the ost library/include files that I guess are
needed. I will monitor it though since it looks most interesting!!

Cheers

Chris

Chris Pitchford <cpitchford@intrepid.cx>