[linux-dvb] Re: MPEG2 capture? good format?

On 25 Jul 2002, Dariush Forouher wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 14:05, Chris Pitchford wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on what I'm trying to do.
> >
> > I'm using a Nova-T card, which sadly has no TV-out option. I'm also trying
> > to capture TV programs, for later transcoding to smaller formats
> > (Mpeg4/mpeg1), basically a crude PVR. Being a beginner I'm using
> > DVBstream-0.4pre2..
> >
> > dvbstream -f freq <vpid> <apid>   to grab the appropriated channel
> >
> > dumprtp | ts2ps <vpid> <apid> | tee source.mpg | mplayer -cache 4096 -
> > 	to capture the stream and dump to a file
> >
> > The resultant source.mpg file, although plays under MPlayer and XINE,
> > isn't recognised by trancode (which I was hoping to use to transcode into
> > MPEG1 streams)
> >
> > I've noticed the mplex tool that is in the apps/mpegtools directory of the
> > driver. I was hoping I might be able to use this to "repair" or alter the
> > source.mpg file into a format that may be compatible with transcode. Or
> > alternatively just use mplex itself (since it does mention MPEG1 formats
> > such as vcd)
> >
> > When I attempt to use the tool, it complains the file is notusable:
> >
> > # mplex -f 0 -o mpeg1.mpg source.mpg
> >    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 2.2.1 ($Date: 2002/02/04 19:06:14 $)
> > **ERROR: [mplex] File source.mpg unrecogniseable!
> > **ERROR: [mplex] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
> >
> > I've also tried the NEWSTRUCT driver's version of mplex, which works:
> >
> > mplex -t MPEG1 -i PS_STREAM -o mpeg1.mpg source.mpg
> >
> > but the resultant file has digital artifacts and errors when playing back
> > under Mplayer/Xine that the source.mpg file does not exhibit.
> >
> > I'm just wondering if anyone has any pointers for a good route for
> > grabbing a program and transcoding to MPEG1 (perferably with transcode)
> >
> > I'm currently looking at DTV and VDR, though these seem to require a card
> > with tv out.. In the mean time, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > On another note I have manged to get my Wintv/pvr and Nova-t cards working
> > correctly. Thanks to all for the help. In the end a renaming of tuner.o to
> > dvbtuner.o and an alteration to the order in which modules were loaded
> > seems to have fixed the problem
> There are several scripts(e.g. http://ma.hoff.bei.t-online.de/2divx)
> available that transcode vdr recordings to divx or svcd. mplayer has the
> capability to decode dvb streams, so mencoder can be used for this.
>
> BTW: MPEG1 has even worse compression than MPEG2, that is used for DVB.
> It would make no sense to use it.

Hi again,

I don't think I can use VDR since I have no DVB card with a MPEG-decoder.
I've looked briefly at VDR and KVDR, but so far have had little luck..
thoguh I would like to get it working, but thats a different matter.

In saying that I did indeed manage to use the "stock" mplex this evening
to translate a TS stream into a MPEG2 file, which I believe I can then
transcode .. using transcode. Problem may be solved...

the reason for using MPEG1 is purely a VCD issue. Currently the DVD player
I have access too is VCD compatible, but sadly not SVCD compatibly.
Ideally something like FFMPegs MPEG4 codec would be good for longer-term
online storage, though SVCD I imagine would be best for storage on an
optical disc..

I aggree, MPEG1 is a poor choice, but is necessity more than anything else

Thanks

Chris