[linux-dvb] Re: Pinnacle PCTV

Hi Peter

 > I suppose you are right. I know there is a condition in my current
 > driver which causes the kernel to lock up; this is mostly triggered
 > when the frontend loses lock.

Is it possible to reproduce? Maybe by a weak signal?

 > I am afraid I don't see why DvbDmxSWFilterPackets() needs to be called
 > with interrupts disabled, can you please enlighten me?

Just pattern matching.

DvbDmxSWFilterPackets() is called from fidbirq() and debiirq(), which
I suppose from the function name are running in interrupt context.

 > I'll just test if your patch woks with my system as well, then have it
 > included into the experimental-pinnacle branch.

Please use spin_lock_irqsave/restore, to not annoy others, by enabling
interrupts when they suppose they are off. I didn't think of that the
first time.

 > P.S.: I have no idea why SMP kernels lock up, but I am pretty positive
 > I made some mistake with the spin_locks. Obviously, I do not quite
 > understand spin_locking :-(

Since it occurs instantly on every try I think it should be something
easy to find, like trying to aquire a lock twice.

Cheers
Michael