[linux-dvb] Re: SAA7146_MAX_BUF limit

Hi

Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > Has anybody succeeded in capturing 720x756@25fps YUV date
> > from the DVB ?
> > Kind regards
> > --PMM
> Why should somebody try this ? You can save raw mpeg2 in full quality without
> loss and recompress it to mp4 if you want so , so capture from the v4l-device
> isn't usefull by all meanings.

Well, you are right that it is not useful for ALL meanings, but it is useful for
some. It make sense if one uses one of the many video capture and/or display
programs written for v4l. The advantage of reading raw YUV data besides the
many legacy applications is low cpu usage at the cost of high PCI to memory
traffic.

One could also think of a HW supported transcode program that takes
MPEG-2 and feed it to the DVB API and reads the resulting YUV data
via the V4L API to an encoder program. That ought to speed up
Thomas' well known transcode program.

BTW, reinstalling the modules I can now capture 14 fps at 720x576
while doing Overlay window (DVB directly to the Graphic card).
If I turn off Overlay I can capture 17 fps. That is better than
before but still a bit dissapointing. Can anyone do better ?

Kind regards

--PMM