[linux-dvb] Re: Slightly OT Satellite question

I'll reply to the replies in this mail to keep the OT thread clean :)

"Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M wrote:
> AFAIR dutch C+ uses Irdeto encryption.
> Hit me if I'm wrong...

Possibly :) But I don't need C+, just the regular (even including
non-commercial channels, similar to the BBC but then for Holland) channels.
Subscription costs < 20 euro per YEAR :) If you have cable, it's in your tv
tax already. For satellite it's just so that other European countries can't
just watch the shows (with original soundtracks, just Dutch subtitles) since
royalties were only paid for broadcasting in Holland. That's why many more
German channels are FTA: if you don't understand German, you're probably not
going to watch them anyway :)

Patrick GUENEAU wrote:
> I am very pessimistic concerning proper ASTON CAM support with
> Convergence linux driver as Convergence is not using our cards
> (Technotrend ones) to develop DVB platforms for their clients (at least
> it is what I understood from previous threads on this topic).

What about a different card? (I don't know which DVB-S cards there are). It'll
be a few months before I *might* get a dish installed, so it's not urgent,
but it'd be nice to know :)

Are there any specs or anything else to go on? Isn't CAM a standard like DVB
itself? Or are different CAM's really different? I don't think there's cheap
sat receiver boxes which I can use with an IR blaster and that also produce
MPEG2 out :P

Because they're not actually pay-channels, and the broadcasters themselves
couldn't care less wether they are pirated (it's just encrypted to satisfy
the royalty laywers) maybe they will stick to SECA1 ?

It's a bit awkward that it's easier to do the "wrong" thing with a softcam
(afaik the birdies told me SECA1 is no problem) than to do the "right" thing!
I just want to pay the yearly fee and watch some interesting shows! Arrgh! :)

Thanks for the answers,
Cheers
Dennis

PS - don't mail me about softcams, I haven't tried them (don't even have
DVB-S), don't know where to find them, and they're all for Windows anyway.