[linux-dvb] Creating a TS from live input?

Howdy :)

I thought this would be quite a straightforward matter... all I want to do is
use something like mp1e / ffmpeg / mencoder to encode video and audio from
either a flat-file, or a video4linux device, and process the output Program
Stream into a muxed Transport Stream with preset values for Audio and Video
PIDs.

Alas, it's proved extremely frustrating! I thought 'pes2ts2' would be my
saviour... its 'help' is as follows:

lindesk:/home/gdh# pes2ts2
pes2ts2

So, I have a 'test.mpg' that plays happily with mplayer / xine / Windows
Media Player, etc. and I run

$ pes2ts2 test.mpg 101 100

expecting to see a barrage of random characters on stdout. Instead I get

lindesk:/home/gdh# pes2ts2 test.mpg 101 100
pes2ts2
Segmentation fault

This is with both the version of pes2ts2 that comes with 'dvb-mpegtools' in
Debian 3.0 (I've already tried the 'unstable' version from several months
later with the same results)

Am I missing something really basic, or is this malfunctioning? My system is
a rather uninspiring P3-800 single processor.

Any ideas would be most appreciated =)

gdh