[linux-dvb] Re: Protecting mailinglist archives from spammers

On Monday 11 November 2002 12:30 pm, Antti O Lammi wrote:
> I think we need changes how the mailinglist is archived to WWW. Currently
> is just matter of time that spammers find the archives at linuxtv.org!
> Could we remove all email addresses from the archive, or make it somehow
> password protected?

The common solution to this is to obfuscate the email-addresses by XXX'ing
out the last few characters of the address.. e.g.

gdh@acentral.co.uk becomes gdh@acentXXXXXXX

Seems a good compromise since it still allows the reader to identify by
e-mail address whilst removing all usefulness of the archive for spammers..

gdh