[linux-dvb] Re: Dvb in uk

On Thursday 02 January 2003 2:48 pm, you wrote:
> Hullo
>
> Does anyone have any views on whether I should use dvb-t anyway, or
> should I buy a satellite based service and then can the contract as soon
> as I can?

Hi Tim :)

You're in the UK, so if you want digital TV based on a Linux platform, DVB-T
is your only choice.

Sky Digital is unusable because all channels are encrypted with Sky's own
proprietary 'Videoguard' system for which a CAM is not available. Means if
you want to watch Sky Digital, you need to have a Sky Digibox.

The cable route is closed for exactly the same reason - both ntl: and
TeleWest are using encryption and not allowing you to use the smartcard in
anything other than their own decoder boxes.

So that leaves you with DVB-T and the poor selection of channels availble on
Freeview.

Yes you may require a new aerial, but it's likely you can get away with just
adding a signal booster in your living room :)

Cheers,
Gavin.