[linux-dvb] Re: Dvb in uk

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 15:52, tim+linuxtv.org@coote.org wrote:
> Thanks Gavin
>
> Interesting spin on the gov't's definition of 'free to air' then ;-)
> isn't there a watchdog to prevent this type of behaviour?
>
> I understood that it wasn't an issue of signal strength, and that they
> were having to use different shaped aerials - the chap mentioned that he
> has a good view of the transmitter from his window, but still can't
> extract the digital signal as it's transmitted over a larger frequency
> range.
>
> Any tips on what I should be looking for in a dvb-t card (eg don't get a
> budget as you can't view the images ?) or are they much of a muchness
> and I should aim cheap ? (who sells these damned things anyway?)

You have no choice, there are only budget cards available (well, easily)
for dvb-t, but thats ok as you can display the picture in software (or
get a seperate hw decoder if your machine is too slow). You can pick up
the hauppage dvb-t card from eg Dabs, Tottenham Court Road, quite
easily. I dont know about domestic aerials, but if yours is a reasonable
size external one you should be ok.

Justin