[linux-dvb] Re: Dvb in uk

On Thursday 02 January 2003 3:52 pm, tim+linuxtv.org@coote.org wrote:
> Thanks Gavin
>
> Interesting spin on the gov't's definition of 'free to air' then ;-)
> isn't there a watchdog to prevent this type of behaviour?

Just as an addendum to the Sky thing... yes as a UK resident you can get a
card that'll let you watch the BBC channels on your Sky Digibox without
paying a subscription fee...

This, however, is a Free-To-View card which will only enable your local BBC1
region - very different to Free-To-Air  because the BBC channels are
encrypted the same as all the premium Sky ones.

It means that the only thing you'll be able to see with a DVB-S card and a
dish pointed at 28.2 degrees east is a bunch of shopping and God channels,
none of which are selling anything I'm interested in hearing about.

Cheers,
gdh