[linux-dvb] Adding V4L interface to budget cards

Rene Bartsch writes:
 > after reading documentation of new FFMPEG 0.4.6 I got the idea to add a
 > libavfomat-based V4L-device to the DVB-driver, which decodes TS to standard
 > YUV (or whatever is used on the V4L-interface).
 >
 > This would allow programs like XawTV to watch TV without having a own
 > MPEG-TS decoder. Standard TV-software could handle the DVBs like a analogue
 > TV-card (except tuning-parameters, of course).
 >
 > Comments?

Software decoding should not be put into the kernel.
Other drivers (USB webcam) had simple color conversions thrown out
when they were integrated into the kernel. They also had the
conversion in the driver to make it easier for applications which
could only handle certain color formats. I think the outcome of the
discussion on the V4L list was that a standard user library should
handle this.

You could also use vloopback to do the decoding in userspace but still
have a V4L device with the decoded result.

Ralph