[linux-dvb] DVB Info for Nova-T

This mail was originally sent to a friend of mine in Belfast, hence the
reference to Divis... but it might provide useful info to others.

Thought I'd share some useful stuffs so you don't spend hours going round in
circles like I did...

http://www.itc.org.uk/uk_television_sector/reception_advice/digital_trans_gui
de/show_transmitter.asp?siteID=15

FREQ = ( CHANNEL_NUMBER * 8 )+ 306

The 'Offset' determines whether to add or substract (or ignore) 166 kHz.

I'm guessing you're served by Divis, so the 'dvbtune' likes go like this

Mux 1 (BBC1, 2, CHOICE, NEWS24, CBBC)
dvbtune -f 538000 -qam 16 -cr 3_4

Mux 2 (ITV/C4)
dvbtune -f 569833 -qam 64 -cr 2_3

Mux A (C5/QVC/ITN News)
dvbtune -f 489833 -qam 64 -cr 2_3

Mux B (BBC Knowledge / BBC Radio)
dvbtune -f 513833 -qam 16 -cr 3_4

Mux C (Freeview 1)
dvbtune -f 690000 -qam 16 -cr 3_4

Mux D (Freeview 2)
dvbtune -f 578166 -qam 16 -cr 3_4

Those commands will tune the card, add '-i' on the end to get an XML list of
services.

Add '-m' instead of '-i' to get a signal strength reading. You need Verror to
be under about 8000 to get a reliable picture, and BlockErrors must be zero!

:)

After that, you can do:

dvbstream -f  538000 -qam 16 -cr 3_4 -o -ps 600 601 | mplayer - -nocache -vo
sdl -vop lavcdeint

That'll pipe BBC1 into MPlayer, complete with software de-interlacing. Make
sure you can get this far before tinkering with VDR... and use this driver:

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/linux-dvb.2002-11-01.tar.bz2

Just unpack it, rename the dir to 'DVB' in captials, cd DVB/driver and make
insmod. Hopefully that should be it and you can then play with dvbtune. Oh
yes... dvbtools...

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.dvbtools.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dvbtools login

cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.dvbtools.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dvbtools
co .

Don't forget the final dot on the second line... that'll pull down dvbtune,
dvbstream and lots of others. When you 'cd' into each dir and run 'make',
they all expect the DVB dir to be "../DVB".

Have fun!

gdh