[linux-dvb] Re: DVB and MPEG-4

Ok, so we have a multicasted stream. Probably an RTP based stream.
Players like mp4player and Quicktime should be able to play it if
we had the SDP file or means for generating it. It would be interesting
to see if any SDP announcements are made on the interface as well.

Does anyone know how to get the SDP info for these channels ?

I haven't tested that :

You have 2 files there : eg : "Deejay_Tv.asx" & "Deejay_Tv.nsc".
The ASX file has all the infos about the clip. The NSC file has all the streaming / broadcasting info.

You should be able to read these files with Windows Media Server (I think). At least, the program that have generated them. But after talking with Eutelsat, I pretty much know how this works. And they are using Windows Media Server.

BTW, it is a dangerously channel to tune into. It means that it will
typically be sending a full feed (45Mbps) of multicasting traffic
towards you and your PC will quite often forward this traffic to
your default route (or your multicast route).
These MPEG4 channels are only 450kb/s. But maybe I don't know enought about satellite to argu on that. :)

In principle, a budget card should be able to take the transponder feed
as a whole, but if the driver (or is it the firmware ?) adds a
MPEG-2 TS header to what it can identify as MPEG-2, it might not be
very useful data coming out.

As you can see you can have the driver do the network stuff and grab stream from 224.3.0.33 to process it further.

Interesting. If we can get the SDP info, and reconstruct a correct SDP
file including the MPEG4-IOD, then you can probably watch it directly
on a PC in high quality with common players. Writing a userspace V4L
would be trivial and maybe uninteresting.

I'm into MPEG4, and all about MPEG4 is interesting for me. ;)

--
Alexandre CONRAD
Research & Development