[linux-dvb] Re: VHF on Nova-T?

Bernd Bernie Meyer wrote:
Being stuck Down-Under (Australia), the vibrant digital TV world of
Europe, and particularly its linux support, used to be something to look at enviously....

Until today, it was my understanding that the Nova-T (aka the
TechnoTrend DVB-T Budget) can only tune UHF channels, and that thus
it is pretty much useless for us antipodeans. But then Google alerted
me to this URL:

http://www.technotrend.de/download/Readme_budget.txt

which, in between lots of other text, says

New in version 1.48
-----------------------------
- support FE SU 1278 (DVB-S)
--> - support FE TDA 10045 (DVB-T UHF/VHF)
--> - channel search for VHF/UHF (DVB-T)
- new TT-AX secures the application of Intervideo-codecs
- improvement tele-text (search + save all sites)
- Data-application for cables improves

The marked lines seem to indicate that the TT DVB-T Budget card can now
receive VHF --- which would be GREAT news.

So... am I misinterpreting? Or is this a new tuner (Or frontend? What
does "FE" stand for?)? And if so, would it be supported by the linux
driver?

I just downloaded the latest CVS driver from linuxtv.org, and can't
find any mention of the TDA 10045 in there. *sigh*
The TDA10045 is not yet supported by our driver, just because nobody owns such a card and started to develop this frontend driver.

I could not find a register level documenatation on http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/TDA10045H_2.html, so you will have to contact them directly for this documentation and/or some sample code.

The Block diagram shows an onchip DSP, so you need probably some additional microcode.

Another way to achieve the required information is disassembling the windows driver.

I would love to buy one of those cards, but I'd feel better about it
if I knew I could actually watch more than one channel with it :)
If you feel confident to develop the driver then you could buy it. Otherwise you might want to wait.

Holger