[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

On Friday 10 January 2003 12:55 am, Gavin Hamill wrote:

> > ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/linux-dvb.2002-12-08.tar.bz2

<driver versions>

I only suggested that specific one because I'm a Nova-T user in the UK, and I
can vouch for it working for me :)

Yes it gets very confusing with multiple versions.. the magic for me was just
unpacking the driver as-is and having various directories called
"linux-dvb-yyyy-mm-dd", and then using a symlink DVB to point at the one I'm
actually playing with today :)

It's /much/ less confusing...

Also, the output from 'dvbtune' seems different than the one I use - you can
get a tarball of my 'dvbtune' directory from here:

http://gdh.ca/~gdh/dvbtune.tar.gz

> Every version seems to need a different set of modules and devices.

The 'NEWSTRUCT' (old name now :D ) driver with the Nova-T means you only
actually need the following modules (locations in brackets)

dvb-core (in driver/)
grundig_29504-401 (driver/frontend)
dvb-ttpci (driver/av7110)

All the other stuff is for multicast IP or non-Nova-T cards.

> For Multiplex 1 (BBC): (25 * 8) + 306 = 506MHz = 506000 kHz
> Subtract 167kHz for negative offset, gives 505833.
>
> I'll be delighted if it's something this simple.

No, that looks fine :|

> Thanks for your persistence.
>
> <rant>
> software working that my latest phone bill is nearly £1,000 (never

Sounds like you need ADSL / cable modem more than digital TV :)

£1000 ! Eek! I thought flat-rate 0800 ISPs solved that one?

Even at the height of my BBS-ing I never broke £250 a quarter!

> I have the black spot.
> </rant>

You certainly do... puts my recent PC problems to shame :/

> Having said all that, I'd still like to figure this out. ;-)

It will no doubt be something wildly insulting.. but hey that's all part of
the fun! :)

I'm off to bed now.. night!

Cheers,
Gavin.