[linux-dvb] Re: frequency bending on DVB-T cards

On Sunday 12 January 2003 12:09 am, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> What do people think I should do if two cards which are marked not to
> use bending are then tuned to the same frequency... "tune and be
> damned", or return an appropriate error for the second card?

Well, I can't imagine there ever being more than 1 programme on Freeview that
I'd want to see, so the whole point is fairly moot ;)

Seriously though, I would run with "tune and be damned"... do you have 2
cards? Just wondered if you'd done any tests re: signal strength if the two
are tuned to the same freq.

Anything that causes tuning to be faster is a bonus esp for 'zapping' where
the logical channel order will be spread across multiple muxes..

<initial tuning> BBC1, BBC2
<change mux> ITV, C4,
<change mux> C5,
<change mux> BBC NEWS,
<change mux> BBC THREE, BBC FOUR, etc.

If we drop the frequency bending, channel zapping should be a much more
pleasant experience =)

One of the most annoying thing about the Sky Digibox is the time taken to
change channels.. it might be only a second, but it's still a pain in the
back side when you multiply that by the hundreds of channels on offer,
compounded by the fact you'll decide whether or not to watch that channel
within a second =)

So, for the perfect STB, fast channel changes takes priority =)

gdh