[linux-dvb] Status of dvb-kernel vs DVB?

--On den 9 januari 2003 16:38 +0100 Holger Waechtler <holger@convergence.de> wrote:

Which driver version should I be using now?
current CVS head, module DVB/ if you want to watch TV, module dvb-kernel/
if you want to join development.
What is the status of dvb-kernel really? Is it close to on par
with DVB-head?

Are bug fixes and new features going into both trees or how
does this work work?

I'd like to both have a totally stable system _and_ work with the
driver when I can :-). In my experience, the head DVB driver hasn't
been totally glitch free either, but if I am going to work on a
bug it seems stupid to put the efforts on a driver that is doomed.
On the other hand I don't really want to use a development driver
that has lots of bugs or shortcomings for daily use.

I'd be happy if someone could clearify and maybe give us a
dvb-kernel status update.

In addition, is there any need for using kernel > 2.4.18 for
the DVB driver or the 2.4-compat dvb-kernel driver?
Is there any good reason for using a 2.5 kernel for dvb-kernel
and not use the 2.4-compat stuff?
If there is I certainly could get another kernel, but if there
isn't it seems easier to stay with the standard packages.

/ragge