[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

Bruno Prior wrote:

> lot of corruption) got the DVB modules inserted again. This time,
> ./dvbtune -f 505833 -qam 64 -cr 3_4 -i did not crash the machine, and
> actually reported some services. However, it was various EMAP, MTV and
> UKTV services, rather than the BBC services I was expecting. So I
tried
> again on 481833kHz, but this simply gave a "Nothing to read from
fd_sdt"
> error. So I went back to 505833kHz and this time, that gave me a
> "Nothing to read from fd_sdt" error too".
>
> To cut a long story short, I tried the various frequencies that should
> work in this area many times, and the results were consistently
> inconsistent. The best example was a series of four attempts to tune
> 561833kHz. The four successive attempts found the following services:
>
> 1. BBC PARLMNT / BBC 4 / CBeebies / various BBC radio channels
> 2. Sky News / Sky Spts News / Sky Travel / UKHistory
> 3. ITV 1 / ITV 2 / Channel 4 / ITV News / Teletext
> 4. Nothing to read from fd_sdt
>
> Each attempt reported something pretty close to the following at the
> start (only difference would be small changes in Bit error rate and
SNR):

> Using DVB card "Grundig 29504-401"
> tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 561833000 Hz
> polling....
> Getting frontend event
> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
> FE_HAS_SYNC
> Event:  Frequency: 561833000
>           SymbolRate: 0
>           FEC_inner:  2
> Bit error rate: 414
> Signal strength: 12079
> SNR: 54741
> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
> FE_HAS_SYNC
> <transponder type="T" freq="561833000">
>
> So dvbtune claimed to be tuning to 561833 each time, but was finding
> different services every time. As far as I understand it, that is
> impossible. The only conclusion is that dvbtune is actually tuning
> randomly to one of the channels when it is claiming to be tuning to
the
> channel you instructed it to.

This is exactly the same behaviour I'm experiencing.
When I did get any xml data from dvbtune it was also missing <stream>
and <descriptor> elements.

I have been able to the compile siemens_dvb-0.9.4.tar.gz and dvbtune-0.3
under SuSE 7.2 and generate tuning data for my transmitter (stockland
hill, UK).  I am currently running SuSE 8.1,
linux-dvb.2003-01-08-ci-ll.tar.bz2, dvbtune from CVS and vdr-1.1.20.  I
have tried many different drivers and found the HEAD driver and any
dvbtune combination does not work for me.

My channels.conf generated from dvb-0.9.4, dvbtune-0.3, SuSE 7.2
combination works very well with my current setup except for channels on
mux 2 and mux A.  Vdr won't tune to any of these stations.

Sorry I haven't any answers for you.

Is there another to generate accurate tuning data?

Regards

Glenn