[linux-dvb] Re: loosing data with Freeze command

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 06:38:10PM +0100, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach writes:
>  > >  2)	- you freeze video with driver command FREEZE and you stop the video
>  > > source : the decoder freeze the video on a still picture.
>  > > 	- you restart decoding with driver command CONTINUE and you restart
>  > > the video source : the decoder restart but there is a big TS interruption
>  > > (about 1 second).
>  > >
>  > > Does the CONTINUE command flush internal board buffer ?
>  >
>  > Yes. It is not optimally implemented in the AV7110 firmware.
>

> If you feed a stream via CI interface (what kind of hardware is this
> btw.?) it is just like when coming from the frontend. In this case
> the firmware does practically nothing. The driver issues a video
> freeze and continue command (see vidcom() command) which the firmware
> just sends unchanged to the MPEG decoder microcode.
>
> In the case of playback from the PC there also is no buffer flush as
> far as I can see.

Ralph, you are right. My understanding of the firmware (and the RTSL) is
not very high. Also, the vidcom()s in av7110.c are not easy to
decipher...

Anyway VIDEO_FREEZE/VIDEO_CONTINUE work flawlessly with my test program
and a stream from the sat frontend.

Regards,
Johannes