[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge Nova-T setup?

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:47:53PM +0000, David Given wrote:

> Can anyone point me to where I can get a set of matching drivers and
> applications that show some sign of working?

Yes, at present it's all a bit frustrating and very undocumented...

I'm in the UK, I have a Nova-T, and it works well under Linux. I have
been using this driver with good success:

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/linux-dvb.2002-12-08.tar.bz2

Unpack and symlink "DVB" to the "linux-dvb.2002-12-08" dir...

$ cd DVB/driver
$ make insmod

You should have a lot of modules loaded now, but the only 3 you need for
the Nova-T are dvb-core, grundig_29504-401 and dvb-ttpci, so you can
move those three to auto modprobe on system startup if you like.

Now, I think the sourceforge public CVS servers are down at the moment,
so use this 'dvbtune' - it's a tarball of one that works for me.

http://gdh.ca/~gdh/dvbtune.tar.gz

I don't have access to the DVB machine at the moment (it's 400 miles
away) so I can't actually get your dvbstream yet :(

However, dvbtune is enough to verify a good signal and retrieve the list
of channels...

You'll need to get lists of frequencies for your local muxes - there are
recent links on the mailing list for the right part of www.itc.org.uk
and instructions how to convert channel numbers into frequencies.

Then (754167 kHz is the main BBC mux from Winter Hill in the north-west)

$ dvbtune -f 754167 -qam 16 -cr 3_4 -i

should be enough to give you a long XML list of channels. Four of the
muxes use -qam 16 -cr 3_4, the other two (the ITV/C4 one and the C5/QVC
one) use -qam 64 -cr 2_3.

If dvbtune gives you an error about 'value too large for frontend',
ignore it and run dvbtune again - it's a known bug.

Hopefully some kind soul can provide a dvbstream to get some output...
the commandline for BBC1 is...

$ dvbstream -f 754167 -qam 16 -cr 3_4 -ps -o 600 601 | mplayer -
-nocache

Cheers,
Gavin.