[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel API oops

Hello Michael

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:58:27AM +0000, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hello Emard,
>
> >Here's a dvb-kernel oops while sending ctrl-c to the application
> >using dvr0 after module has attemted to rmmod.
>
> That's a problem inside dvb-core, that I have already reported to Holger
> twice now. 8-)

Exactly, it should go into TODO known bugs :->

Anyone can let szap running, rmmod the modules, and
see this oops

> Currently, you have added your patched card to "budget.c" -- but you
> would prefer to have it in "av7110.c" with access to the budget core
> functions right?

Right, but when av7110.c stabilizes. I asked Ralph and he told
me there's not easy fix to av7110 because of mixing of interruptible
and non-interruptible context that leads to complete freezeup.

av7110.c DVB/* users: To see what I meant, just try in endless loop
ifconfig dvb0_0 -promisc; ifconfig dvb0_0 promisc

> I've talked with Holger about moving all drivers to a common directory
> "tt-pci", so it would be very easy then. But: you'll need to make it a
> compile-time decision then, not a runtime decision with a command line
> option.

Thank you for that. IMHO it is good that everything goes to tt-pci
for some code sharing.

For adaptation of av7110.c, I will wait because unstabilized tt-pci
with old av7110.c in its present state is not worth further adaptation.

It has to be completely rewritten. In the meantime, I can perfect
up the budget-only mode of the patched card and when fresh av7110.c
is done (Ralph ... :-) it will be my pleasure to budget_patch it :).

> The reason is, that otherwise budget-core.o must be loaded for all
> av7110 cards to satisfy the function dependency.
>
> Perhaps we'll need to discuss this further.

We can think of a clean way to have separated transport mechanisms
of av7110 and budget, while still being able to share some code between
them. It might be good to use the both codes in one driver the future.

Theoretically, card vendors might decide to merge dvb-s and budget
in one card because it's easy to do this. just an issue of rewiring
the card's PCB, and all elements can stay the same.

Emard