[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T and Subtitles

Terve Sakari,

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 19:53, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:

> Subtitles are set up differently on the channels I receive. On some,
> they seem to be embedded in the video stream, and I see them whether
> I want to or not. On others, I don't see them at all, although I do
> know they are transmitted. This is OK if I know the language, but I
> don't know Asian languages, say. So how do I get the subtitles?

Here in Finland the subtitles are transmitted as DVB subtitle streams
(as specified in the ETSI standard ETS 300 743) in the channels by YLE,
but in the other channels (e.g. MTV3, Nelonen) they are embedded
directly into the video stream - at the moment. I think YLE broadcasts
the subtitles also as Teletext streams (which can be fed to the TV by
the DVB card), but I'm not able to verify this right now. We will need
to implement DVB subtitle decoding sooner or later, and plug the
decoding parts into Mplayer et al.

Cheers,
Juha