[linux-dvb] I found a driver for TechniSat SkyStar 2 - can it be used with linuxtv?

Hi there,

this is my first posting here, so Iīm sorry if this was asked before. But
google doesn't give many links for the search term: >> linux driver "skystar
2" <<

In this list I only fond some postings from november 2001 stating that there
exists no driver.

1.)

The DVB-S cards with hardware MPEG decoder are MUCH too expensive (260-300
EUR), even the "budget" version (TchnoTrend budget alias Hauppauge WinTV
Nova-S) can't be called "cheap" or easily affordable (99,- EUR)

The functionality of the TechniSat SkyStar 2 (and except some different
EEPROM entry equivalent SkyStar 2 EOL-Version) is very similar to the
TechnoTrend budget-based cards. But the price is only 40-60 EUR! That's what
I call fair. But it seemed until now there hasn't been a linux driver
around.

But today I found some interesting links:
http://www.esat.pl/sterowniki.html#skystar2  (this page is what I call a
market overview)
http://www.planetsky.am/docs/faq.html
So it seems there is a driver now (or even two different drivers)

Is it possible to use one of the these drivers with linuxtv? (Or build a
linuxtv compatible driver based on the one from sterowniki?)

2.)

Why isnīt the SkyStar 2 listed here at all?:
http://linuxtv.org/dvb/market.xml
Even if it's not suppported, it should at least be listed in a "market
overview"...  It's certainly the best low-budget card available and also the
least expensive.

Even the very bad Pent@media card (which causes a high PCI load and requires
at least a 500 MHz CPU only for Data reception - WITHOUT MPEG decoding!!! -
complete crap, if you ask me) is listed.

3.)

Is linvdr now able to output the picture to the VGA port or is it still
neccessary to have one of these highly overpriced DVB-S-card with integrated
MPEG decoder chip? Who wants a low quality FBAS signal if he builds a
high-end STB himself...?  (They removed the internal RGB connector in
current revisions)

I really would like to build a stand alone PC, containing 2x TechniSat
SkyStar 2 and with a VGA-2-Scart-Adaptor at the VGA port, so the picture can
be transferred to the TV in the highest quality possible to the Scart /
Euro-AV connector.
Look here if you want to connect your TV on the VGA port:
http://www2.arnes.si/~mthale1/rgb.html
http://www2.arnes.si/~mthale1
No more f****** expensive DVB card with MPEG decoder chip (but low budget
SP/DIF output that can't even handle DolbyDigital) needed! The newer
revisions even lack the internal connector that offered standard RGB signals
in earlier revivions :-(  :-(  :-(  :-(    I could have imagined to buy such
a card eventually, but no more RGB output an no DD output are two good
reasons not to pay nearly 300 EUR for such a card!

4.)

I would recommend the Hoontech SOUND TRACK DIGITAL XG WITH XG DBI soundcard
for audio output. It's inexpensive, offers optical AND coaxial SP/DIF in and
out, features DD output and has even a high quality DAC and 4 analogue
output channels. It uses the Yamaha YMF744 chip.
You can buy it at www.conrad.com for only 49,- EUR (I payed ~70 EUR two
years ago) - the joke is: you get a very high quality soundcard + a digital
connector add-on. You can also buy the digital connetor add-on alone (e.g.
for use with soundblaster) but the price is the same....

PS: I do not run linux at the moment (I did occassionally some years ago)
and I do not own a TechniSat SkyStar2 (I bought a WinTV Nova-S, because I
planned to transfer that card to a stand-alone linux-STB someday and when I
bought it there has't been any linux driver for the SkyStar 2)
But it would be great to be able to build such a STB from scratch using:
-2x (or 3x)  TechniSat SkyStar 2  (59,- EUR + 59,- EUR)
-1x Hoontech Soundtrack Digital XG (49,- EUR)
-1x some cheap moinboard (~ 70,- EUR)
-1x AMD Duron 1300 MHz (44,- EUR)
-1x 120 GB HDD (149,- EUR)
= 281,- EUR without HDD
or
= 430,- EUR with 120 GB HD

Then you need a case, the IR stuff, eventually an LCD and the VGA-2-Scart
converter and for 500..600 EUR you have a highest-end twin-tuner set-top-box
without any limits. You even can add a CD-/DVD-ROM or recorder and DivX
playback from CD or HDD should also be no problem!
This device could even record two programs simultaneously and display a
third one! (with 3 DVB-S cards)

Maybe some of you know the dreambox - a linux-based HD-recording-receiver.
But if you read through their forum, you will see itīs still in alpha state
with a huge pile of bugs, it has even hardware-bugs (power supply). And it
has only one tuner and will never be able to play DivX lower than V4 (maybe
not even DivX4 or 5, but it can decode MPEG4, even though it's not
implemented yet.) And itīs 250 MHz IBM-PPC performs much slower than a Duron
1300.
But it has also advantages: you can buy it ready built for only 399,- EUR
without HD (or 548,- EUR with 120 GB), it consumes MUCH less power than a PC
and has a CI (+two SmardCard readers and 2 embedded UCAS)