[linux-dvb] Re: [vdr] Re: AC3 over Soundcard (live and replay) (Was: AC3 5.1 - can someone "fix" -a in VDR 1.1.x - Please :)

Dr. Werner Fink writes:
 > On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:09:45PM +0100, Gregoire Favre wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > does that mean that we need a soundcard to use AC3 with DVB?
 > >
 > > It took me lots of hard work to have an optical cable connecting my 5.1
 > > to the DVB-s (I am not an electronic fan at all...), and all sent to
 > > this list wasn't working for me...
 > >
 > > Wouldn't it be possible to have a plugin that use the output of the
 > > DVB-s?
 > >
 > > Should I need a souncard?
 > > Or the:
 > > * It should be possible to do the `AC3 warpped into PCM'
 > >   within the DVB driver (even for Live TV!) because the
 > >   full featured cards provide a S/P-DIF out.
 >
 > If the firmware is stable enough to do transfer the Dolby digital pid
 > into kernel space and receive the AC3 warped into PCM which its self
 > is warped into a private stream 1 with the sub id for linear PCM [1]
 > _together_ with receiving OSD bitmaps and transferring EPG data and/or
 > recording data ...  this _will_ work!
 >
 > The last time I've tried that I've got on four starts three freezes.
 > OK it was an old driver with the first firmware for the NEWSTRUCT.
 >
 > Maybe this is possible with the current driver and its firmware.
 > Nevertheless I've never got any answer from convergence nor from
 > the Metzler brothers on my questions and submitted code.
 > (The question was: Is it possible to do that in the firmware without
 >  transfer into kernel space).

At the time you asked that I was not able to write any mails.

To answer your question now, I frankly do not have the time, means or
motivation to do anything about this.
We had some ideas about a major rewrite in the firmware data flow handling
where this could have been a side product, but other things came up
and now I rather will spend my time on other things.
I am (occasionally) working on some more bugfixes and simplifications
in the firmware but I don't know if I will get back to the rewrite in the future.

Ralph