[linux-dvb] Multicast Mailing Lists / Newsgroups via DVB equipment (was AW: Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (such as Technisat SkyStar 2))

Dear Miernik,

I have changed the topic as I think your thoughts on a new broadcast
service is a whole separate issue, but definitely worth understanding.

>> There are many users/developers who otherwise have to pay money they
can't afford to be online.

I might have the wrong perspective here, but for about 50 EUR / month
you can get DSL with a flatrate or at least some very high transfer
volume seen from a mail / news perspective. (What I mean is: 1 GB of
monthly traffic is nothing if you are a heave user of video trading
systems such as the Napster successors, but it is more than you will
ever have to use up for newsgroups.)

If you go for dial-in prices have arrived at about 1 Cent (Euro-Cent)
per Minute without a monthly subscription fee being paid. That is about
0,60 EUR per hour. If you count ONLY the time you need to replicate
newsgroups or mailing lists (not all the time you spend on the web) 1
hour a day would sum up to maybe 25 hours a month which will be less
than 20 EUR a month. If you'd sell such a subscription for 10 EUR /
month (don't forget administrative cost) this will make 10 EUR / month
of a difference for a lot of technical effort. Do you think people would
subscribe to that service?

Thoughts and opinions on this are welcome! Maybe prices are different in
other parts of the world? Just it is my experience that even in Africa
(I am not kidding, I am serious) there is Internet service available
pretty much at comparable rates to in what some people call the
"developed" world. So I did not find a lot of value in making huge
investments to compete in such markets.

>> It should not cost more than 100 EUR monthly to multicast that.

I have heared quite different prices for capacity on Astra or Eutelsat.
More like 10.000 EUR / month or even more.

Torsten