Von: Miernik [mailto:miernik@tarnica.ctnet.pl] Im Auftrag von Miernik
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2003 22:46
An: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [linux-dvb] Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (such as
Technisat SkyStar 2)

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 10:23:06PM +0100, Torsten Schlabach wrote:

In many coutries even disassembling the driver in order to write a
completely new one is ont illegal EVEN IF the vendors licence prohibits disassembling.

Do you know what countries these are or do you have any pointers to
some

literature on this topic? I think the other part of the story is if

I've read about this that this law was used to legally disassemble the BIOS of one of the old computers (it was either Amiga, Amstrad or Atari - they all begin with A, so I don't remeber which one).

This was they legally made a machine compatible with the original computer (the A.... company didn't want to release any specifications).

Aside from legal issues, I am not sure if I think it will be realistic
to understand the chipset interface from looking at the uncommented
disassembled code. Anyone has any experience with this? I might be
wrong

or over-estimate the complexity ?!?

Surely it is poossible, the question is - in what time :)
I think it is worth it - it would be great to have two different hardware platforms for GPL Linux based DVB systems. I hate it when there is only one hardware platform which is possible to use - it's great to have a choice. And the low price of these cards...

BTW: I just had a great idea for all GNU community to benefit from:

It would be great to take such feed, and:
Buy some bandwith on a satellite service, and transmitt all the groups multicast, so everyone who has a DVB card and antenna can receive it without any monthly cost in real time!

Don't you think this would be great?
There are many users/developers who otherise have to pay money they can't afford to be online. With such service it will be posibble to receive all the groups without any uplink (however they will need uplink to post - but that is small cost, because you read much more than post).

I have looked at the statistics, and all the groups there take only 11 kbps in total, it will be probably a little larger when new groups are added, so a 16 kbps will be enough. It should not cost more than 100 EUR monthly to multicast that. And one multicast would supply it all for whole Europe. A second multicast on a different satellite would be needed for America, and maybe a third one for Asia. We could look for some sponsor, or even collect money from GNU users and developers, for example 1 EUR monthly for each user. The fee would not be mandatory, but I am sure that there would eaisly be 100 people who would pay 1 EUR monthly for this service to run.

What do you think? Ability to receive all mailing lists in real-time for 1 EUR monthly?

I’ve heard that, but please, where is it?

http://www.esat.pl/files/dvb/technisat/b2c2_install_base.tgz