[linux-dvb] AW: Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (such as Technisat SkyStar 2)

Are they?
It was my impression that they just started all over the place and I see
new ones every day. My guess was that in places especially like the
booming economies of eastern Europe (at least 50% of them are within the
footprint of Astra) this service was rocketing. I would not want to try
to get DSL in a country like the Ukraine or Romania unless I live in the
capital, probably in a district where international companies or the
government is located nearby.
But even in Germany Deutsche Telekom and Teles AG (Strato) are heavily
promoting the service to people in the eastern parts of Germany. The
problem they have there in a number of places is that after the reunion
Deutsche Telekom installed fibre (not copper) right into a lot of
houses. But you cannot do DSL on fibre ...
Pricing for the SkyDSL service is identical to that of land-line DSL.
But still I would like to understand how they solve the bandwidth issue.
Strato promises their customers 4 Mbit/s download. So if they had only
1000 customers they'd need 4 GBit/s of capacity. And they are only one
of may 20 providers I know of in Europe. How much download capacity does
that fleet of about 10 Astra satellites have beside all the TV and radio
services they carry.
(Serious answer by anyone who knows the satellite business would be
welcome.)

Torsten