[linux-dvb] Astra footprint in romania/Ads that fool the cutomers (was: Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (such as Technisat SkyStar 2))

I also do not think satellite ISP are dying. But Strato has recently
increased the price per MB from 0,5 ct to 2 ct.

Romania is only covered to 50% by Astra. But Astra is too expensive anyway.
Hotbird costs half as much and other satellite positions even less.
You need a 100-120 cm dish in transilvania (middle/mid-northwest of
romania).
http://www.technisat.de/de/sat-infos/footprints.php?view=detail

But maybe this is not the whole truth and it's possible to receiver Astra in
Romania (e.g. in Medias, which is nearly in the middel of that country) with
a 60 cm dish and with a bigger one even on the black sea's cost? Does anyone
know that or even live there?

The capacity per transponder is 38 Mbps and I guess there are 20-50 unused
transponders. But most of them are only for backup purposes. And it costs ~7
Million EUR to lease a complete Astra transponder or 3,5 Millions to lease
one of Hotbird.

Beseides: Strato does not PROMISE 4 Mbit/s - the only ADVERTISE with this
number. In the "rush hour" the sat downlink ist already slower than 2 ISDN
channels. 4 Mbit/s they definitely fool their not-yet-customers in their

Internet via satellite is very unsatisfying! High costs and sometimes low
performance and you need to pay phone line connection as return channel
anyway. And no flatrate. Maybe at least the return channel issue can be
fixed. Astra is currently developing a cheap low speed return channel
technology for set-top-boxes. They think of ordering PPV movies or even
instant messaging and E-Mailing.
http://ix.de/newsticker/data/tol-27.01.03-003 (german)